Captain’s Log – Unnamed Gaff-Rigged Cutter (1969 Saran 17 made in Cannes)
The Downrigging, December 13-14, 2008
She has sat for twelve weeks since I set eyes upon her. Upon last visit, a few inches of water had entered the bilges and flooded the toolbox and cabin. I decided to bail this myself and let the September heat handle the rest, however it had only been a week since the bilges were dry and I found the few inches. What would happen for 12 weeks? I expected the bilges and cockpit to the brimming with water, and the hull to have smashed the trailer to the point that the rails were almost broken and the corners of which has punched dents into the hull. I could hardly sleep as I contemplated what mess would exist. Perhaps the trailer gave out entirely from the weight, and the boat fell off and damaged another’s boat? What if the force caused the boats all to topple over like dominos, costing ME hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage? It was a terrifying thought but all for naught.
The bilge was dry. The cockpit contained about two inches at most at the aftmost end. Evidence of about a foot of flooding existed in the cabin, just enough to rise up and barely seep under the cushions, causing them to be moist only on the bottom. The cabin had created a hotbox for mildew prior to the seasons changing. The damage was extensive, but thankfully only to ephemeral items. The lost gear to replace for next season includes:
1. 1 fixed blade knife with leather sheath (had been completely submerged in bilge) rusted beyond use (skipper belt knife remains in good condition)
2. 1 craftsman pocket-style knife, same as above (two such knives still in decent shape in first aid kit)
3. 3 sets of rain gear tops, and 1 set of rain gear bottoms, molded beyond a desire to salvage (also evidence of complete submersion). Ponchos remained unaffected.
4. 1 3’x5’ US flag for gaff, currently soaking for salvage
5. 1 small US flag for stern, (have a backup)
Aside from these items, the radio, steering gear, mainsheet and boomvang remained no different from how they were left. The port and starboard cockpit hatches appeared to have remained completely dry, which brought great joy as they contained expensive lines and my toolbox, which also contained my prized sailing book (which remained dry but has developed some “character”). Other damage for repair includes:
1. Towels and clothing were damp but should be usable after laundering.
2. A lantern that would turn on when shook despite the switch being off (turned out the battery compartment was flooded and the water would close the circuit). Thankfully the resin material did not rust and the lantern appears to be operational after a thorough cleaning.
3. Cushions had accrued a few mold and mildew stains, which can be treated and removed or covers replaced if necessary.
4. Mohagany floorboard has lost much of its polish from the submersion. This is not very bothersome to me because I am not captivated by shiny things; only the thrill of controlling natural forces and making them move my boat to the place I desire.
5. Some of the running rigging and coiled lines from the bilge were soaked, and this may have caused weak spots that could cause them to snap if fungi began to grow inside. Thankfully these types of lines are not prone to such a malady and should be usable upon inspection.
6. Some black dots grew on life preservers. These can be removed or disregarded (the skipper’s has stayed in his truck all season J)
7. Engine should be sent to a specialist or replaced (I’m sure the fluids inside have frozen a few times which undoubtedly has caused damage).
I decided not to remove the mast as I stepped it myself and was quite proud of the accomplishment back in August. But now my muscles have atrophied from law school and I probably do not have the strength to step that beast again. I do not like to ask for help outside of the family due to the risk of injury from such a task and the strength required. Instead I better secured the running rigging and removed the boom and gaff. The 25mph wind was howling as I stood there on the trailer, and I imagined that I was sailing in such a wind and what I would do. The topping lift escaped from where I had secured it and it flew away from me. It was swaying up in the air to probably an 80degree angle to the mast! I prayed that the pulley would not turn and retract the line, which would require bringing down the mast to fix. After a few minutes of careful waiting, it came back down close enough to where I could snatch it back and secure it again.
I thus decided not to rig a tarp over the cockpit, as this would cause an unnecessary kite effect in the wind, increasing strain and movement on the trailer. Plus snow would build up on it and cause undue weight on the stern, which would topple the trailer backwards. Hopefully instead the snow will build up equally on the hull, and as it melts it will seep into the bilges and escape just as the rainwater did for the last three months.
Overall, the boat is in good condition, especially for what it has been through this season under my preoccupied leadership. At heart however, I know that this is only a learning boat. Rigging three sails and launching from a trailer is a lot of work for each use, and one day I must have a sloop on a mooring or dock simply for time’s sake. However this boat is a most unique item for this country (there are only a handful left and none are identical to her) and I am proud to sail her in her in the autumn of her years. It requires leadership and dedication to make this forty year old boat continue to sail, and perhaps a test of these skills is a formidable part of the thrill I get from sailing.
i do what i do
when in doubt, go without

1 Comments:
Thanks in the service of bewitching the time to write that. I start it very interesting. If you contract a possibility risk you should take in my blog as well. I desire you have a massive epoch!
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home